Friday, October 14, 2011

Sega SG-1000 II Update:Its Alive!

Just wanted to post a quick update about my recently acquired Sega SG-1000 II. I found an RF switch for it and decided to take a chance on using a PC Engine AC adaptor with it.

It works!

I plugged my one and only game - Pacar - into it and after a few minutes of messing around had things functioning quite smoothly.

It is actually quite a good game. It looked like a racing game on the cover, but it is actually like Pac Man. You ride around a maze-like set of roads picking up dots and trying to avoid a couple of other cars which are also on the road. Hit one of them and you are toast. But if you grab a power up you can turn the tables and only the other cars crash when you collide.

Basically PacMan only with cars.

Anyway, it now has pride of place next to my kitchen TV:I can`t wait until I get some more games for it!

Related Posts
- Mega Bargain of the Day: Sega SG-1000 II
- Another Extremely Rare Sealed Video Game Bites the Dust

5 comments:

  1. Hooray! You have some Sega goodness to enjoy! :) I'd love to collect for their Japanese consoles but, as I've discovered from you and your splendid blog, it would be more than a little tricky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray times two! So, Pacar is a Sega-made game? How strange. The premise sounds interesting, though. What are the graphics like on this system? I'm going to have to look it up now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simon - thanks! I`ve been inspired by your tales of Sega greatness to get one of these for a long time! These are a bit tricky to find, but not too expensive on Ebay actually!

    Bryan - yes, Pacar is Sega made. The graphics are pretty simple. I read that the internals of the SG-1000 series are almost identical to the Coleco Vision, and the graphics on this game bear that comparison out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant, the world always needs some extra Sega love :) Glad to hear the console is behaving itself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sean - it does indeed! Even though this is more of a Nintendo themed blog, I have equal love for all old systems! Now that I`ve got this thing up and running expect more posts about it!

    ReplyDelete